Wednesday, March 26, 2008

IF YOU BAKE IT, THEY WILL COME

{Image via cell phone camera}

Inspired by Mary(ruffle), last night I made a quick stop for cupcake supplies. I picked up some mini cupcake wrappers in spring colors along with some pastel crystals.

New method for making mini cupcakes: pour batter into ziplock bag, snip off corner and fill wrappers 2/3 of the way full. Perfect! Way less mess too!

One box of cake mix (I know, I cheated) made 48 mini cupcakes and 5 regular sized cupcakes.

I did NOT cheat with the frosting though! I made a batch of bakery/wedding cake frosting and added 2 capfuls of Lemon Oil (purchased at Whole Foods).

White cake + Lemon Frosting = heaven.

To frost the cupcakes I popped a GIGANTIC star-tip into a pastry bag and went to town. This is seriously the best way to frost mini cupcakes. Quick, easy and pretty! Add sprinkles and Viola!

Want to make your own yummy frosting? Have at it:

Decorator Frosting

2lbs of confectionery sugar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup of Crisco
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract **I always wing it and add more**
Beat on high speed for 5 minutes. **I am not joking - really 5 minutes**

(you can also half this pretty easily, I do it all the time)

**You can add any other extracts you like to flavor. Since this frosting is really really white, you'll want to stick with clear extracts and oils. I got my lemon oil at Whole Foods but I know that Wilton carries a pretty solid line of oils that you can pick up most places that Wilton products are sold. The only Wilton oil I can really vouch for is the peppermint oil - I use it at Christmas for peppermint bark and it is phenomenal.**

Some of these came to work, some were given as thank-yous and others were eaten warm and frosted. Yum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, you are officially my idol! These are a.we.some. I will definitely be trying this frosting!